There are various criteria that need to be satisfied during the process of designing heat exchanger or rather in the design of heat exchanger. The main areas are naturally designing the tubes and the engines, which comprise the heat exchanger design calculation of the tube heat exchangers and the engine heat exchangers.
There are individual parameters or factors based upon which the construction of a heat exchanger is carried out.
The 5 basic parameters to design heat exchanger are:
- The initial point or the criteria of a heat exchanger design is the consideration of the fact that the exchanger must satisfy all the thermal conditions of the entire process. This means that the thermal process stream must be maintained until shutting of the thermal plant.
- Right after this, the next parameter is the compatibility of the service conditions by the exchanger. This comprises resistance to corrosion, emergency situations, mechanical stress during installation and the adaptability to the temperature difference. The pressure and vibration limits must also be maintained and the fouling must be resisted.
- The configuration of the heat exchanger must comply with the usual needs of tube replacement, cleaning the tubes and shells to avoid corrosion, erosion and vulnerability. This factor also comprises the proper management of space and position in order to maintain and avoid the mentioned aspects.
- The cost of the appliance must be consistent and must comply with all the features. The costing actually includes the cost of installation, cost of operation, lost production cost and first cost. Among these, the lost production cost and cost of operation are included with the designing of the appliance.
- Last but not the least; the final parameter would be the limitations on various requirement aspects of the heat exchanger. These are the measurements of length, diameter, weight and many more based upon user or site requirements.