Pages

Thursday 24 March 2011

Review of My Favourite Books

This is a challenge I'm making up and it's for anyone who wants to do it. If you do the challenge you can tag people if you want, but don't have to.

The challenge is pick your top ten favorite books and if you want you can tell a little bit about the book, like the story, characters, etc and why you like it. Also for those who are into manga/graphic novels they can be part of your favorites if you want. I count manga/graphic novels as books anyway.

It was hard for me to pick ten favorites since I have a lot of favorite books, but here they are.

1. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
A Little About The Books: These books follow Lyra and her daemon, Pan and in the second book, Will becomes a main character too. Lyra is a young girl who lives at Jordan College and gets up getting pushed into something she doesn't quite understand yet. Later she meets Will and together they set out to save both their worlds.

Why I like it: The story and the characters are amazing. I love Lyra, Pan, Will and Lee Scoresby. I felt a connection to Lyra right from the start and the world, ideas that Philip Pullman created are just amazing. Also I know this is 3 books, but it's a series so I'm just going to count them as one.

2. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
A Little About The Book: Sophie Hatter is the eldest of 3 daughters and being the eldest means she will not be able to seek out her fortune. Sophie is stuck in the hat shop with her step mother while her two younger sister leave and get their own careers.

While in the hat shop alone one day a woman comes in and turns Sophie into an old woman. Sophie soon leaves the hat shop to seek out her fortune and ends up becoming a housekeeper for Wizard Howl.

Why I like it: The story may not be serious, it may not be life changing and it may not actually have any lessons to teach, but Howl's Moving Castle makes you feel good and happy. It has many funny moments and a happy ending. Diana Wynne Jones really knows how to make someone enjoy what they read.

3. If Only by Geri Halliwell
A little about the book: The book is about the life of Geri Halliwell AKA Ginger Spice.

Why I like it: For me, reading this really helped me get through some tough times. I liked it because it's a book by one of my favorite singers and she really has had some crazy moments in her life. There are some pretty sad parts too. It's really worth reading.

4. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
A little about the book: Winnie Foster is tired of being cooped up and just wants to go out and experience life. One day Winnie leaves her fenced in yard to explore the forest. In the forest is where she meets Jesse Tuck and later two other members of the Tuck family who take her back to their home.

Why I like it: It is a beautifully written book and I really like Winnie. I think one of the reasons I like this book so much is because when I was 10, like Winnie is in the book, I was never allowed out and really had no friends. I was basically fenced in too, and so I could really understand how Winnie feels. Also I really like the Tuck family. I wish I knew people like that in real life.

5. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
A little about the book: Socs are people with money, that can get away with almost anything. Ponyboy is a greaser and has always been proud of it. He is even willing to go against the socs for his friends who are also greasers. But, one night things are taken to far and his friend Johnny kills a soc.

Why I like it: This was one of the first books that really got me into reading. After reading this book it made me want to write my own books and be an author. The book seemed so real and deals with problems even teens face today. It is an amazing book.

6. Revolutionary Girl Utena Vol. 1: To Till
A little about the book: Utena lost her parents when she was young and has been living with her aunt ever since. For years all she thinks about is her prince that saved her when she was young. She wants to meet her prince and it looks like it might actually happen. One day Utena finds a letter that says "This year, we will meet."

Why I like it: I had to get at least one manga on this list :) Anyway, I found this manga while at the Hershey library one day and I'm very glad I did find it. I like it because Utena is strong, she believes anyone can be a prince, in other words. Anyone can be strong, brave and fight for the ones they love. This is one of my all time favorite mangas.

7. The Autobiography of Malcolm X
A little about the book: It's about the life of Malcolm X

Why I like it: I read this book when I was reading about black history all the time and it was one of the things that really started to change the way I think. I didn't realize it then, but I see now that it changed my thinking in a good way. It's also really interesting to read about Malcolm X's life.

8. The Girl Who Married The Moon: Tales from Native North America by Joseph Bruchac & Gayle Ross
A little about the book: Short stories about Native American women.

Why I like it: I love reading and learning about Native Americans. So when I found this book full of short stories about Native American women I just had to read it. Native American women are very respected, often they will be asked their opinion before the tribe elders make decisions. The stories, I think, show how brave and wise Native American can be. I think the stories also teach good lessons.

9. Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery by Deborah and James Howe
A little about the book: A family finds a bunny while at the movie theater watching Dracula. The family brings the bunny home and names him Bunnicula. The family doesn't know what to think when they find vegetables white and drained of all the juices.



Why I like it: It's simple why I like it: It's funny! It may be a children's book, but I think this is good for anyone to read. I had fun while reading this and I loved the steak part.

10. Harry Potter and The Scorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowlin
A little about the book: I'm sure I don't have to explain what this books is about to anyone.

Why I like it: I've really only been into Harry Potter since last year sometime and not sure why I never read the books before, but It's a good story and really sucks you in. It's fun and magical, who doesn't love that?
I know most of my choices are YA/Children's books, but that's what I like reading and there are a lot of great YA/Children's books.


1 comment:

  1. My favorite book of all time is the Brother Karamazov by Dostoevesky. He certainly makes his books a little long and a little tedious but the insight into human nature makes the read well worth it. I was emotionally moved upon several times by this book and I can't say that about many.

    ReplyDelete